4-20. CRANK HANDLE AND GUIDE ASSEMBLY MAINTENCE INSTRUCTIONS
This task includes:
a. Replace crank handle.
c. Repair guide assembly.
b. Replace guide assembly.
T o o l s
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's
Rag, Wiping: item 8, Appx E.
Wrench, Torque: item 50, Appx F
Oil, Lubrication: item 6, Appx E,
Cleaning Solvent item 9, Appx E
Compactor set on level ground in protected area.
Preformed Packing (1)
1. Remove crank handle (1) from stowage on com-
pactor guide bar.
2. Inspect crank handle (1) for damage. Replace a
damaged or missing crank handle.
1. Remove two capscrews (2), lockwashers (3) and
guide assembly (4) from engine gear cover.
2. Inspect preformed packing (5) and seal (6) for
wear. Repair guide assembly if parts are worn.
3. Inspect guide (4) for cranks at mounting flanges
or other damages. Replace guide assembly if dam-
4. Apply small amount of lubricating oil to seal
surface of seal (6) and preformed packing (5). En-
sure that preformed packing is installed on, pilot
shoulder of guide (4) and seated fully in groove at
base of pilot.
5. Clean mounting surface and bore of gear cover
with a clean rag.
6. Carefully install guide assembly (4), easing the
seal (6) over end of camshaft.